Facebook started off as a pure social network. As time passes, its creators and users both begin to realize its value proposition in the business world. So, Facebook launched “Pages” for business users analogous to “profiles” for personal users. In the business world, profiles became pages, followers became fans, the user interface changed to have a more business-centric appeal but the essence remained the same.
The launch of Facebook pages left many businesses wondering if they should now build a page or a profile? Those with existing profiles had a dilemma of whether to abandon their profile and build a page, have both a page and a profile or perhaps look for a means to migrate their existing profile into a business page.
Facebook recently launched a migration tool that converts a Facebook profile to an official Page with the click of a button, transforming friends to fans in the process. This is a welcome change to the cryptic process of creating a page from scratch and starting with an empty friends list.
Facebook Profile to Business Migration Tool
The tool provides one-click access to converting an existing personal profile to a business page. As per Facebook, the migration would work for a number of business types and categories, including local companies, larger organizations, public figures, causes, and even individual products. From a business perspective, it’s a blessing in disguise as all your followers are converted into fans.
How to convert your Facebook profile to business page?
Facebook profile to business page migration is actually quiet simple. Just follow these steps
1) Any migration is susceptible to data loss. Therefore, it’s best to keep a backup of your profile data before you start the migration process. You can learn how to back-up your Facebook profile here.
2) The starting point is to access the migration tool here. Be mindful that only your profile photos would be preserved. Other content including additional photographs would be discarded.
3) Choose the appropriate business category, specify a name, subcategory, and a few other items. Once your business page is live, you will be asked to fill in any other necessary details.
Should your business take the plunge?
Facebook profile migration is a one way street. Once you convert your profile to a page, there’s no way you can restore it back to a profile. Therefore, you need to make up your mind and act accordingly.
So, is your business better off with an existing profile or should you transform it to a page? There are several considerations that need to be accounted for.
- Personal profiles with business orientation – Facebook warns that having a personal profile for anything other than a single individual violates its guidelines. Facebook suggests converting such profiles to business pages, or else risk being banned for policy violations.
- Pros and cons – Converting to a page has it’s own pros and cons. Though it offers special features to better administer fans and customers and to manage a business’s social ads, a business page can’t view and befriend fans’ personal profiles.
While it sounds interesting, I’d mix caution with adventure while exploring Facebook profile migration tool. Perhaps, a good idea is to create a new dummy profile and then migrate it to a page to see how the process works.
There’ve been concerns over the performance of the migration tool, so I’d advice doing a dry run before you take the plunge?
Have you used the Facebook profile to business migration tool? Are you planning to convert your profile into a business page? Please share your opinion by leaving a comment below this post.
Latest posts by Douglas Idugboe (see all)
- 7 Digital Marketing Ideas Your Business Must Start Using Now - March 10, 2014
- Women and Mobile: Both Moving Up in the Business World - March 5, 2014
- How to Market to Social Savvy Consumers - March 3, 2014